Friday, April 1, 2011

'Hungry' for More

I first heard of The Hunger Games awhile back. My friend Andrew started reading them then over break my other friend John started reading them too. Both of them said it was a great book, So I figured I would probably enjoy it as well. I was correct and after reading through all of it I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was as easy to read as feed but I thought it was more interesting. Just the Idea of kids fighting other kids is already more interesting than a bunch of rich kids with the internet in their head.

I thought the the beginning of the book started slow, but I knew that this was only set up for the games that took up the other half of the book. I didn't really know how the games were played at first. I thought it was just going to be 1 v 1 until there is only one kid left. If the audience wanted constant action that's the way they should of done it. I thought the way the games were actually portrayed in the book was still pretty interesting though. It was more geared towards survival rather than just killing which made it seem like anyone could win.

I thought the games should of ended with Katniss killing Peeta. Yeah, they were working together the whole duration of the games but when the announcer said that the rule stating that if the two tributes from the same district lives they both win was repealed I was ready for them to both try to kill each other. But then the announcer took it back and I felt like I was cheated out of what could of been the greatest scene of the whole book. Not that I wanted to see any of them die but after all they went everything together it would of been a terrible thing to see them fight to the death, but it would of been great.

My connection is to the video game Call of Duty Black ops. More specifically the game type called one in the chamber. This mode pits 6 players against each other and has them fight with a pistol and a knife until there is only one player remaining. At first glance there is not that much in common with hunger games but I found a few similarities. In addition to playing until all other players are killed, the players ages can be age 12 and up. Also before a game the player bets their virtual currency on how well they will do in the game.  Yeah, these similarities are pretty basic but I guess it shows where mind was at while reading the book.

4 comments:

  1. Your connection is very unique! I agree that in some ways it is similar to the hunger games. I liked the way the book was played out and I can't wait to read the next one. I think I would have been very disappointed if Katniss would have killed Peeta. As a girl, I fell in love with their love story and don't want it to end. But I also thought the way the games were played was very interesting. It was not boring at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would have been a shocking ending. If one of them died at the end, I wouldn't really be interested to read the rest of the books. Like Darcy said, I liked their love story and would like to see it continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with the ending of the novel. I actually was thinking that Katniss was going to end up killing Peeta. But then of course, how could there be other books? I thought your connection was definitely interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Told you they were the best books.

    You also forgot the connection that you do not have to be aggressive but simply survive. You can win but have hardly any kills.

    ReplyDelete