Saturday, March 26, 2011

Not So Real

Reality TV has gone completely over the top. I think Daniel Tosh described it the best on one of his comedy specials, "We have a game show in our country called survivor, Thats a game in our country. Where you can win one million dollars for surviving 30 days in a country where people already live. Do you realize what kind of message that sends? I've been here for 60 years can I have some bread? No, were Americans this is a game ...".  Survivor isn't even the worst example. The real housewives shows or cake boss are prime examples. I don't know why anyone would want to watch rich middle age women yell at each other or some guy making cakes.

All of that being said, everyone continues to watch these ridiculous show. The only reality show I watch fairly often is of course, The Jersey Shore. I don't care about any of the relationships or any of their drama. I enjoy the stupid things they do and they're popular phrases ie. The cabs are here, T-shirt time, etc. These are the only things that I like about this show. I don't really think this qualifies as a reality show though. All they do is work at a T-shirt shop and party. Sure it makes for interesting TV but I wouldn't call it reality, more like fantasy. Who wouldn't want to do the least amount of work possible and party every night and get paid wheel barrels full of cash.

The episode I watched was the finale that aired Thursday. It wasn't the most entertaining episode I've seen but it wasn't boring either. The only reason I wanted to watch this episode was because it's the finale and it's usually what we watch every Thursday night unless we're watching sports or something that generates a bit more brain activity. I wasn't really that focused on what was going on during the show but from what I saw it looked like they did everything they would do on a regular show.

4 comments:

  1. What does it say about us as a culture that "T-shirt time" has worked its way into our everyday lingo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I watch it occasionally for the stupid things they say and do. They can be entertaining. It's interesting the way Tosh described reality tv in regards to survivor. I never thought about it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel Tosh has the funniest outlooks on things. But, I agree. I think everyone I know was watching Jersey Shore Thursday night for the finale. I just don't understand why we all love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Tosh, I'm so glad you quoted him. Reality TV is kind of embarrassing, which is why so many people don't like to admit to watching it.

    ReplyDelete